Is It Possible to Get Your Child’s IEP Changed?

If your child requires any kind of special education in a public school, he or she must receive an Individualized Education Program or IEP. An IEP is a unique plan that includes both your child’s goals and the methods that will be used to achieve those goals. It’s important to keep in mind that an IEP is not a static plan; as your child progresses, the goals and methods may need to change. So, is it possible to change your child’s IEP? Here’s what you need to know.  

You can request a change to an IEP at any time.  

As a parent, you have the right to ask for an alteration in your child’s special education plan whenever you feel that it’s necessary. There is any number of reasons why this might be the case. For example, your child may have achieved all of the goals set in the original plan. If there are new resources available to help your child, then the IEP may be changed in order to incorporate them. Additionally, if your child’s behavior has increased or a new behavior has emerged a changed in the IEP may be warranted to meet his/her current needs.   

You will need to work with your child’s IEP team.  

If you have a change that you want to make, you’ll need to submit a request to meet with the IEP team to discuss your concerns and any proposed changesIt’s wise to submit a written request for documentation purposes. Make sure to be as thorough as possible when explaining why you are requesting a meeting and feel a change in the IEP is necessaryIn the IEP meeting, your current concerns can be shared with the rest of the team and together you can determine what changes are needed to support your child’s current needs.   

Since 2006, STAR of CA has been connecting families in and near Ventura with the resources they require due to developmental, emotional, or behavioral challengesWe are committed to providing everybody with the best possible treatments, based on the latest research into autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Would you like to learn more? Call (805) 644-7827 with your questions. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *